On the Road again!
On the bridge to Romania
On the 56 near Dolj
On the 65c near Vâlcea
Small settlements along the streets
Every house has the graves next to it – and a small bridge that goes there
Henri Coandă and the Coandă-1910
Henri Coandă went to school and studied in Romania, Germany and Belgium. After a short stint in the army he went for a car trip to Isfahan, Teheran, and Tibet in 1908!!
After his return he went to Paris and enrolled to become an aeronautical engineer. In 1910 he designed and built a plane known as the Coandă-1910. The aircraft used a 4-cylinder piston engine to power a rotary compressor which was intended to propel the craft by a combination of suction at the front and airflow out the rear instead of using a propeller. There is no proof that the plane ever was in the air.
He constructed many other planes after the 1910. Along many other inventions the most famous of Coandă’s discoveries is the Coandă Effect.
This is a replica of the 1910 original in Perisor
In 1191 Sibu was the first time officially recorded when Pope Celestine III confirmed the existence of the free prepositure of German settlers in Transylvania. In 1376 Sibiu became the most important ethnic German city among the seven cities that gave Transylvania its German name Siebenbürgen. It is the most important cultural centers of Romania with lots of festivals, art, and other events.
With shower and a TV as well
A happy Mitsos with food he understands and wine!
We shared the meal
The good Silva Beer – The Blonde Lager
And the Pale Ale
House at the Strada Ocnai
Looking down the street from the Dragonerwache
Traditional Shop House
Strada Ocnai – House with eyes. That is what my friend used to call the open windows in the roof
See the small houses down the road?
Would be nice without the cars
Like this small lane
The stairs leading up to the Lesser Square (Kleiner Ring)
Liars Bridge in Lesser Square, erected in 1859
Lutheran Cathedral of Saint Mary
Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church
Brukenthal Palace was erected between 1777 and 1787 as the main residence for the Governor of Transylvania Samuel von Brukenthal. It houses the main part of the National Brukenthal Museum. The museum opened in 1817 which makes it one of the oldest museums in the world.
Above the entrance of the Bruckenthal Museum
At the Grand Square or Großer Ring
House at the corner of the square
Along the walking street
Walking down the Nicolae Bălcescu street
The girls need a bubble bath!
Hmm – they could join
Behind the big wood doors you find usually a green couryard
Ernst Wiesenfeld student housing. Or: The House with Caryatids at Mitropoliei Street, constructed in 1786
The dove is here to get the letter out
The Holy Trinity Cathedral
The construction of the Cathedral started in 1902. A few houses and a little Greek church built in 1797 that served as a cathedral before had to be demolished to free up space.
Wedding after wedding – it is weekend after all